Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Moon Knight, Volume 1 by Brian Michael Bendis, Alex Maleev (Illustrator)

Moon Knight Vol. 1Moon Knight Vol. 1 by Brian Michael Bendis

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Moon Knight is a new comic book hero for me, but I find I like him quite a bit.  I like the concept of his identity, and the fact that he is in fact, suffering from what appears to be schizophrenia, in that he hears voices talking to him.  At first, I didn't get it when Wolverine, Spider-man, and Captain America show up to give him a pep talk. I thought they were there in real life!  Nope, they are a manifestation of his mental condition.

Also, I liked how this book shows how the Avengers were building up their West Coast hero roster, since some of the crime outfits were fleeing the Eastern seaboard for greener pastures.

And the coolness escalates when Marc (Moon Knight) recruits an ex-Avenger, Echo (real name Maya) who is deaf and Latina. His gadgets man is an ex-SHIELD agent who is black.  I appreciate cultural diversity enormously. I'm a black woman, and I can tell you from experience that many comic book and movie geeks are black, and we like to see people who share our culture/background in the genre.

Moon Knight definitely knows how to kick butt.  He relies on his physical adeptness, fighting skills and gadgets to do his thing.  On Marvel Wikia, he's described as Batman with mental illness.  I can see where they are coming from with that.

The art was really well well done. It has rustic feel that I liked, and it uses plenty of shading. This adds to the noir feel of the storyline.

I am happy to keep up with this series. Marc Spector is a distinctive kind of hero, some traits recognizable to other big heroes, but others off the beaten path.  I like that he's a big time actor who uses his income to finance his crime fighting activities.

Overall rating: 3.5/5.0 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments: