Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Justice League Dark, Volume 1: In the Dark by Peter Milligan, Mikel Janin (Illustrations), Ryan Sook (Illustrations)

Justice League Dark, Vol. 1: In the DarkJustice League Dark, Vol. 1: In the Dark by Peter Milligan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The short of it:  This is weird!

For a supernatural fiction-attracted person like myself, the idea of a Justice League sub-group with members who are all gifted in the magical/supernatural arena was too awesome to resist.  It has some pretty weighty DC magical members, such as John Constantine, Zatanna (one of my new favorites), Madame Xanadu, and Deadman.  Add some new to me character like Shade The Changing Man and Mindwarp, and you have an interesting cast of characters.  Madame Xanadu is a powerful seer who foretells the end of the world, unless this specific group of people can work together long enough to set things right. That is much more difficult than it seems, with differing agendas and levels of commitment on offer. Not to mention a very powerful, very dangerous adversary, Enchantress, who has lost her human host and is going on a rampage.

Yeah, this was weird.  I think the thing I liked the most was the ensemble cast.  The storyline didn't really capture my interest.  It was pretty gruesome and just plain kooky.  Overall, made the book hard to follow.  Also, some characters had stronger roles than others.  I think that lacking backstory on some of the characters left a few question marks for me. I consulted the DC Comics Wikia and that definitely helped.

Of course, I'm not done reading this series.  It's sort of a mediocre start, but I can see some promise.  Plus, I just love Zatanna and I do have a sort of thing for that rogue John Constantine.

It's a three star rating for me. 



View all my reviews

No comments: