Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Justice League Volume 1 by Grant Morrison (Writer), Howard Porter (Penciller), John Dell (Inker), Mark Millar (Writer, Co-Writer), Oscar Jimenez (Penciller), Don Hillsman (Penciller), Chip Wallace (Inker), Ken Branch (Inker) , more…

JLA, Vol. 1JLA, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This is my first official Justice League comic that I recall reading. That's to be celebrated, even if it was not as good as I hoped.  I read some Batman in my youth, but my major exposure to the Justice League is through the "Superfriends" (regrettably that hasn't aged well), and the awesome Cartoon Network "Justice League" tv show (and also "Justice League Unlimited").

I don't know. This just seemed kind of hokey for lack of a better word.  It was an interesting idea, a space alien counterpart to the Justice League, who was sweeping in and stealing the JL's thunder by saving the world, even going so far as to irrigate and reseed the large deserts.  Their actions never rang true to me, but they seriously seemed to get to the JL psychologically.  Superman was even questioning if he was really living up to his well-treasured values regarding his mission to protect the Earth.

The reveal was fairly cool, and as always, Batman manages to outthink his enemies with his superb tactical and deductive brain.  That part was cool when the JL takes back their Earth-protecting laurels.

I'd call this a decent comic. Not great, but not terrible either.  Not the best start for my Justice League reading career, but them's the breaks.



View all my reviews

No comments: