Monday, May 25, 2015

Separate Rooms by Diana Hamilton

Separate Rooms (Harlequin Presents Plus, #1732)Separate Rooms by Diana Hamilton

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


This had a rocky start, but I liked it quite a bit overall.  Honey was feisty.  In fact, it kind of reminded me of "Taming of the Shrew" because Honey was so prickly and rebuffed any attempts at seduction.  Ben isn't a flashy charmer who gets off on being offensive like Petruchio, but rather takes the tactic of disinterest.  Surprisingly, it does hurt Honey's feelings, although she's sick of being seen as a sex object because of her beauty and curvaceous body.  The "Taming of the Shrew" aspect is more that Ben actually woos Honey into relaxing the icy walls around her heart and wins her by loving her for her.  She has some valid reasons for being wary of men who seem only attracted to her looks.

I think Ben did play a little too lukewarm at times.  If was I was Honey, I would have thought he was disinterested as well. I think that's part of why I didn't give this four stars. I like when the hero is crazy about the heroine and it's easy for me to tell that as a reader, even if the heroine can't because of her issues.  In the end, Ben finally came clean, but it left it almost too late.

I liked this quite a bit in the end, even though the "hot and cold' back and forth got a bit tedious at times. It was a nice diversion and I'm a sucker for a good marriage of convenience storyline.  

Overall rating: 3.5/5.0 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments: