Monday, May 25, 2015

Glass Slippers and UnicornsGlass Slippers and Unicorns by Carole Mortimer

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


I'm torn on the rating for this book. It was cute, indeed.  I expected a lighter romp when I reached for this, but it wasn't quite as light as I expected.  It's one of those books that it's hard to age.  The storyline is more on the modern side, but there are aspects that make it feel more vintage. I didn't expect for Darcy's absent-minded facade to hide serious emotional scars from an event that happened six months prior. 

It took me a while to figure out Reed. I thought he was hiding feelings for Darcy, but it seemed like he was still tomcatting around. At least, he had stuff at his recent ex-girfriend's house that he had left there.  That implies they were sleeping together. I'm hesitant to believe in people being in love when they are still sleeping with other people.  Some may feel differently, but when it comes to romance, I'm a stickler for that sort of thing.  In the end, his beautiful gesture to Darcy won me over. He's actually quite the closet romantic.

I like how even in her older books, Carole Mortimer manages to write very sensual even when things aren't descriptive. That was another reason why it was hard to date this book.  I was surprised at Reed's family's acceptance of him bringing over girls and sharing a room with them.  That's part of why I was questioning the age of this book. I didn't think this would happen much in a pre-1990s book.

I really liked Darcy. I think that her struggles to recover from a very traumatic experience are poignant. I also liked her because she was very sweet.

It's a silly thing, but I get a little disapointed when the hero in a HP book is American. I think Reed is about half and half, but I figured he spoke with an American accent. I miss my British heroes.  It's part of why I like HP books.

Overall rating: 3.5/5.0 stars  ( I wasn't quite as satisfied with this, hence the lower rating)






View all my reviews

No comments: