Monday, February 09, 2009

The Earl's Untouched Bride by Annie Burrows


I read this book very quickly and enjoyed it very much, although some might get annoyed at all the misunderstandings between Charles and Heloise. I thought it was kind of endearing how they both wanted the regard of each other, but feared that it would be denied because of each person's emotional vulnerability. One of them would do or say something with the best intentions, and it would be interpreted in the wrong fashion. It was an interesting dynamic. Another atypical element was the fact that Heloise was very French. She tried very hard to be demure and composed because that was what she thought her very composed husband wanted, but she would tell him off or say what she was thinking when she felt like it needed saying, although it didn't seem to clear up their misunderstandings. Of course, my ears perked up when it was mentioned early on that Charles' brother was horribly scarred and wounded in the war because of my love for scarred/wounded/less than perfect heroes. It was really cool how Heloise immediately made a connection with Robert, and helped him to get back in the land of the living. This book doesn't have the intrigue/mystery component that is often used in regencies. The central conflict of this book is two people getting to know each other, and learning to not allow their emotional issues get in the way of having a happy marriage. Annie Burrows is a new author for me, but she has a refreshing voice that makes me want to read more of her books. I'd give this book 4.5 stars if I could. I can't give it a 5 because the misunderstandings got to be a bit tedious after a while.

2 comments:

annie burrows said...

Hi Danielle,

glad to hear you enjoyed my book.
I have a soft spot for wounded heroes myself, and have written a love story for Charles's brother too. It is called "Captain Fawley's Innocent Bride."
Already released in the UK, and coming to the States soon!
regards,
Annie Burrows

Danielle said...

That's so great to hear, I definitely wanted to read Robert's story. Thanks for writing this book.