Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Earl's Dilemma by Emily May


I started out being a bit annoyed at the hero, James. He was very dismissive about Kate's looks and not loving her. He had decided to marry her because he needed a bride to keep his estates and his fortune. Unfortunately, Kate overhears his discussion with her brother, and she already has issues about being tall, red-headed and freckled. She's been in love with James, her brother's best friend, for over eleven years, but realizes he will never love her. She determines that she will help him find a bride he could love when he asks her to marry him.

So begins the bride hunt. And James manages to find something wrong with every suitable candidate as he realizes that Kate is perfect for him. As I said, I was leaning towards not liking James at all. But seeing the evolution in his thoughts about Kate, and seeing the secret pain he has about his experiences in the Napoleonic Wars, it was hard to dislike him. By the end of the book, I was thoroughly hoping that would be able to get Kate to marry him.

This was a quick read, and a good one, a book that you don't want to put down. Actually I went out to do some pruning and cleaning up in the garden, and when I came back, had to search very hard to find it. Thankfully I did, because it was very enjoyable. I felt for Kate as she so clearly loved James, and enough to make sure he had a bride he could love. I was glad that James did realize what a treasure she was, and that he did a great job at showing his love and devotion for her. It's nice to read a regency book that is so well-written and has a romance that develops and resolves so nicely.

No comments: