Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Fables, Volume 10: The Good Prince by Bill Willingham, , Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Steve Leialoha (Illustrator), Aaron Alexovich (Illustrator), Andrew Pepoy (Illustrator)

Fables, Vol. 10: The Good Prince (Fables, #10)Fables, Vol. 10: The Good Prince by Bill Willingham

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This Fables series has been consistently good. I didn't imagine I would enjoy Flycatcher's story so much, but it was very meaningful.  Flycatcher is very much a man of hidden sorrows.  He dropped out from his past life because of the intense grief he suffered due to the loss of his family in the Homelands.  His role as janitor in Fabletown (and his tendency to eat flies) is a way of escaping and dealing (or not dealing with his sorrow).  but the time has come for him to face his past head on.  He goes back to the Homeland and becomes an enormous thorn in the side of the Adversary.

Willingham has managed to make this series feel new and distinct in each and every volume. I like that I couldn't predict what happened next in this book. I suspected tragedy, but things are surprisingly satisfying in the conclusion, but it's also evident that the battle continues and victory isn't necessarily guaranteed for our displaced Fable friends.  The upcoming war looms even closer on the horizon.

I can't recommend this series more highly than I do.  Definitely required reading for fairy tale aficionados.



View all my reviews

No comments: