Tuesday, October 07, 2014

All Star Western, Vol. 4 by Jimmy Palmiotti All Star Western, Vol. 4: Gold Standard by Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray (Goodreads Author), Moritat (Illustrations)

All Star Western, Vol. 4: Gold StandardAll Star Western, Vol. 4: Gold Standard by Jimmy Palmiotti
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I like that this series keeps it interesting. Mixes up the stories. The tone varies with each volume. This one has an interesting mix of humor and twisted borderline horror. Hex teams up with crime fight from the future, Booster Gold. Booster Gold is ineffectual, let's be honest. He ends up being the sheriff for a town, a hapless one that is preyed on by a gang of sociopaths/psychopaths led by a voodoo/human sacrificing couple. Yeah, Hex and Booster Gold make quite an odd couple. Hex is a real rascal, but I like him more and more. I have to say, some of the drawings here of Hex were really quite ugly (poor guy). However, it doesn't serve as a hindrance in getting ladies. This one ends on a very interesting cliffhanger. I hope this isn't the last one in the volume!

There is a side story with an 18th century version of Stormwatch. That was kind of cool. I liked how they take on vampires and other creatures of the night. It would make a fun movie idea.

I wish I had written my review sooner. I forgot part of the story. I do remember liking it a lot.

View all my reviews

No comments: