Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Unwritten, Vol. 3: Dead Man's Knock by Mike Carey (Goodreads Author), Peter Gross (Illustrator), Yuko Shimizu (Cover Artist), Steven Hall (Goodreads Author) (Foreword by)

The Unwritten, Vol. 3: Dead Man's KnockThe Unwritten, Vol. 3: Dead Man's Knock by Mike Carey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I preferred this to the last volume. I am still undecided whether I like this series as a whole. Good and bad. I love the literary nods and the concept of metafiction. How can I not as such a bibliophile? I find the imagination of this series infectious, but there is a lot of meanness with the storyline and the characters.

I feel a lot of sympathy for both Tom and Lizzie. They are both being manipulated by grand masters at the game. Lizzie is both better off in that she has more understanding of the situation than Tom, but worse off because of how she was used as a pawn. Her origins are pretty intriguing, in fact.

I liked the "Choose Your Own Adventure" part of the collection, but I couldn't figure out how to get past page 35, so I gave up and just read it panel by panel. Shame on me, veteran Choose Your Own Adventure book-reader.

The bad guys in this are truly evil, and I don't mean Count Ambrosio. The mustache guy, man I despise him. Waiting for him to be "written off," permanently. The rest are more of the corporate cabal type of evil (don't get their hands dirty themselves).

Tom is slowly gaining awareness of his situation and starting to realize he has power to shape his next steps in the battle against the Cabal his father sacrificed everything to fight. He also has two friends on his side, much like his literary counterpart, Tommy.

I'll keep reading.

View all my reviews

No comments: