Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Five Ghosts, Volume 1: The Haunting of Fabian Gray by Frank J. Barbiere, Chris Mooneyham (Illustrator)

Five Ghosts, Vol. 1: The Haunting of Fabian GrayFive Ghosts, Vol. 1: The Haunting of Fabian Gray by Frank J. Barbiere

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This was a lucky find when I was browsing my library's graphic novel collection.  I am a big ghost story fan, and I like the idea of a hero who has assumed the powers of different spirits.  It's not quite what I thought, but it's still pretty good.

There's a pretty significant old school vibe to this book. I think the creators were going for a pulp vibe.  The adventure and ready mix of supernatural elements.  The energy is evident in the artwork.  It's raw and somehow visceral. Using a lot of warm shades. The cover doesn't quite represent the color palette that dominates the book.

I really liked how Fabian Gray's spirit helpers are famous archetypes from fiction and literature, and how their abilities are harnessed and used by Fabian, although it comes with a price.

I can't give this the highest rating.  While there was much I liked about it, it wasn't ground-breaking and it doesn't appeal to me in the execution as much as other graphic novels I'm reading. However, I think it will be interesting to pick this series up again and see what adventure are next for Mr. Gray.



View all my reviews

No comments: