Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Justice League Volume 2: The Books of Magic by Jeff Lemire, Mikel Janin (Illustrations)

Justice League Dark, Vol. 2: The Books of MagicJustice League Dark, Vol. 2: The Books of Magic by Jeff Lemire

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I liked this a lot more than the first volume, thus the higher rating. The storyline makes more sense to me, and it's quite menacing with a series of stories where the team is forced to give their 100% in working together to save the world, and a team of people who don't want to work together having to do so. I also liked the look back when Zatanna and Constantine meet, since it ties into the story as an old enemy from their past becomes an issue again.

Also, I liked the way the story leads into a huge arc that promises to provide plenty of fuel over this series. They have a special kid to protect, for specific reasons. Constantine, who is not quite a hero, has to man up and be heroic to save the world. But never fear, he's still up to his shifty tricks. Also, there were some cool cameos that sent me running to the DC Wikia page to do some research.

This story was fun but scary and has plenty of cool magical and action moments. There are plenty of twists and turns and the story feels more developed, cohesive and layered. It's definitely convinced me to keep reading this series. I would have done so half-heartedly before (just because of Constantine and Zatanna), but now I'm invested.

My advice is if you didn't like the first volume, don't give up. This one is much better. I enjoyed the heck out of it.



View all my reviews

No comments: