Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Vengeance Affair by Carole Mortimer

The Vengeance AffairThe Vengeance Affair by Carole Mortimer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


It took me a while to read this because of other stuff going on. This was pretty good. I think the name is hugely misleading. That's not what this book is about at all.  It's nothing that exciting.  Beau Garrett is a talk show host who is recuperating in the boonies after a life threatening accident.  He hires female landscaper, Jaz Logan, who is living under the shadow of her mother running off with someone else's husband.  They strike up an uneasy friendship that turns into love.

Beau is a bit of a misanthrope.  Jaded and sophisticated, and fairly grumpy.  Jaz is highly stressed with all the burdens she's had to carry her life, dealing a shame forced on her just because she is the daughter of her mother.  They find an unlikely connection that isn't just physical.  Beau knows he's too old for her, and Jaz feels that she's not sophisticated enough for Beau.  But there seems to be something that continue pulls them together.

I didn't think this was terribly exciting. It was okay. Not bad, but not particularly distinctive.  Books like this make you wonder how the writer felt when they were writing it. If I'm not excited as a reader, are they while they are writing it. Being creative is hard and lonely work.  You need to feel a drive to finish that work. If the results turn out blah, doesn't the author feel that when they are in the midst of its creation?  I digress.  So, yes this is just a three star read from me.  It kept my interest, but not in a spectacular way. It was a good read before bedtime. 



View all my reviews

No comments: