Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Flash, Vol. 2: The Road to Flashpoint by Geoff Johns, Francis Manapul (Illustrator), Scott Kolins (Illustrator)

The Flash, Vol. 2: The Road to FlashpointThe Flash, Vol. 2: The Road to Flashpoint by Geoff Johns

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


I actually read this almost two weeks ago.  I have been following the Flashpoint storyline since I watched the DC Animation movie, "The Flashpoint Paradox."  It's very intense and even disturbing.  This book is sort of like a prelude to that situation, related to the extreme hatred that Eobard Thawne has for the Flash (Bary Allen), who lived about a thousand years prior to the time in which Thawne lives, the 32nd century.  Thawne's hero worship turns into hatred because he cannot live up to the standard that Allen has set. Frankly, Thawne is a bully, a creep, and an uneasy mix of sociopath and psychopath.  It made this book unpalatable reading in that he manipulates the timeline in terrible ways just to get what he wants.  When this doesn't achieve the result he desires, he decides to go back in time and wreck if not destroy Barry Allen's life, when he realizes he cannot eradicate Allen from the timeline. 

This wasn't bad reading. I just didn't think that it compares to the powerful impact of the following Flashpoint volumes.  I like the Flash, but I realize that I wasn't as drawn into a story where it's just about him, and other Justice League members don't feature.  I don't know how fair a statement that is just yet, so I will have to read more Flash volumes to decide if this is true or not.

It think this deserves 3.5 stars. It's diverting and Thawne truly is a piece of work. I feel that his characterization was stronger than Barry and other members of the Flash family, so that's part of why my rating wasn't higher.  But I think it's still pretty good.  I get increasingly fascinated with time travel, and the Flash presents such a distinctive look at time travel and the concept of faster-than-light travel.



View all my reviews

No comments: