Wednesday, July 01, 2015

JLA: Earth 2 by Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely (Illustrator)

JLA: Earth 2JLA: Earth 2 by Grant Morrison

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


I can't get over how disturbing the evil twins of the Justice League are.  I mean just the Triad is bad enough.  Ultraman is a sleazy, psychopathic, cruel bully.  Owlman is like a demon-possessed Batman (or maybe if Batman was the Antichrist).  Superwoman is a little more developed in this than in Justice League, Vol. 5: Forever Heroes, and I what I know, I definitely don't like.  She's playing Owlman and Ultraman off each other, and I think she hates both of them (but feels more lust for Owlman).  She's sadistic and psychosexually deviant.  Yeah, it's just bad.  More disturbing is that Earth 3 is the opposite of Earth 2. Evil is the predominant value, given free reign.

I think that the science seems too implausible (or at least was so nebulously explained, I didn't believe it was plausible), and I didn't get how the day was saved in the end.  I feel that Crisis on Two Earths Justice League movie (which I suspect this is based on) explains the situation a lot better.  It's worth watching as an adjunct to this graphic novel. I re-watched it again last night and I liked the further insight into the characters.

It was pretty good, and kept my interest. Surprisingly adult and dark in content. It's kind of fun if you want to see the dark side of the triad of the Justice League and Lex Luthor as a good guy.

Overall rating: 3.5/5.0 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments: