Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Fables, Volume 14: Witches by Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Steve Leialoha (Illustrator), David Lapham (Illustrator), Jim Fern (Illustrator), Andrew Pepoy (Illustrator), Craig Hamilton (Illustrator)

Fables, Vol. 14: Witches (Fables, #14)Fables, Vol. 14: Witches by Bill Willingham
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Fables series is back on track after Volume 13 Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover, which was one of the first volumes in the series I didn't rate five stars in a long time. When I considered this book, I knew I was being extra-picky not to give it five stars. The story really is excellent, and some of the profound questions I've had about the Witches on the 13th Floor are starting to be answered. The reveal on Frau Totenkinder is deeper than I thought and was written so poetically. You even get a glimpse into the power politics between the 13th Floor witches. Frau Totenkinder has a young rival in Ozma. Yet they will have to work together to defeat the threat of the Dark Man, known as Mr. Dark. He is out to destroy all the Fables and build his own kingdom of darkness in its place. He truly is creepy and a terrible enemy. The secret of the power of the gateways and the magic that sustains Fabletown itself is revealed, and it's very much related to both Mr. Dark and an ancient corp of sorcerers who fought dark magic for the Empire, and Frau Totenkinder goes on a journey to recruit one of them to help their cause.

So much happens in this volume that I feel that I will get spoilery if I go into it. I did like the side story about Frogcatcher and Red Riding Hood. I always like catching up with the various Fables and seeing how life is treating them (and that's not always well).

This series is so near and dear to my heart. I'm glad it bounced back from the last volume so adroitly.

View all my reviews

No comments: