Thursday, September 01, 2011

Witchfinder: In the Service of the Angels

Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels (Witchfinder, #1)Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels by Mike Mignola

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I loved the Victorian atmosphere and Sir Edward is a charismatic lead. I'm not sure I'm in love with the idea of an ancient ape-like species from the Hollow Earth as the main culprit, but this was well done that I enjoyed the story in spite of that. I liked the idea of a secret society that had an agenda towards world domination, and how they make a powerful adversary in Sir Edward. The inclusion of Sir Edward's origin story as the Witchfinder was a nice bonus.



I liked the eerie and creepy elements, excellently drawn by Ben Steinbeck. I thought that one of the characters bore a resemblance to classic horror movie actor Peter Cushing, and sure enough, it was so! The seedy ambience Victorian London blooms in full spectrum, as though through a darkly-lit photographic aperture. Mike Mignola's work excites me because he brings a love of classic horror elements and folklore to everything he writes. It's like being able to read those gems but getting something new in the bargain.



I will definitely read more books with Sir Edward Grey.



Recommended.



View all my reviews

No comments: