Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sails and Sorcery by Various Authors

Sails & Sorcery: Tales of Nautical FantasySails & Sorcery: Tales of Nautical Fantasy by W.H. Horner

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This was a good collection of stories that smoothly combine the seafaring/pirate theme with fantasy. I only disliked a couple of stories, although as a whole, I found the tone a bit on the dark side. I think the only upbeat story was by Patrick Thomas, and I would expect no less of him, since he always gets me to laugh with his stories. The writing was high quality, even if I didn't necessarily care for all the stories, and none were predictable in the slightest. One hopes to find fantasy stories ripe with imagination, and such was the case here. They also depict all the highs and lows of the human experience, even if the characters aren't necessarily human.

I am feeling too lazy to give an individual account of each story in this collection. Instead, I will end this review with a wholesale recommendation of Sails and Sorcery. It took me a month to read (with other books on the agenda at the time), and that is the best way to read this. Savor each story, one or two a day, or more if you find that you don't want to put it down.

Maybe the person who did this collection will put together an assassin-themed one. Hint, hint!




View all my reviews

No comments: