Monday, August 15, 2016

The Fade Out, Vol. 3: Act ThreeThe Fade Out, Vol. 3: Act Three by Ed Brubaker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Any golden dreams about Classic Hollywood I have are gone. Not that that I had many, but the ones that were there have floated away, evanescent as air. This series is well-written and beautifully illustrated, but it's dark and cynical and sad. Charlie is a hero who is deeply flawed, and he is fighting a losing battle against the corruption that has consumed the lives of those around him, and is slowly rotting him inside. With his PTSD, he's already got a lot of baggage. More information is revealed about his troubled relationship with his writing partner, Gil, and that whole situation is so messed up right there. But that's not the most messed up thing about this story, by far.

Another cliffhanger ending that leaves me wondering where this story will go next.

View all my reviews

No comments: