Sunday, September 14, 2014

Seducing the Spy by Celeste Bradley

Seducing the Spy (Royal Four, #4)Seducing the Spy by Celeste Bradley

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars


I really enjoyed this book. It reminds me why I love this author. I believe she is criminally underrated among the historical romance authors.  She writes very sexy historical romance that also has substance and wit. Her characters are appealingly quirky and flawed.  This book is so in that vein.

Lady Alicia is Ruined, with a capable R.  It wasn't her fault, but that doesn't make it right.  My heart hurt for Alicia.  I tend to like my heroines virginal, but I also like a heroine who has had a bit of life experience under her belt, and she is a survivor. In other words, I don't think possessing a "V" card is enough to make a successful heroine.   A heroine should be three-dimensional and she should have substance and character. That was so Alicia.  I loved her.  I rooted for her to get her happy ending, and I really wanted it to be with Wyndham!

Now Wyndham is more of the Darcy type hero. Cold, composed and remote.  His reasons for being so make a lot of sense. You see, Wyndham always knows when someone is lying to him. Except for Alicia.  It drives him crazy that he can't read Alicia. Especially since he has began falling for her shortly after they met.  I liked how Alicia brought out the wilder, emotional side in Wyndham.  But how he fought it. At times, I felt his behavior towards her was very unkind, and I wanted him to realize what a gem she was. At the same time, I loved how Alicia demanded respect. She didn't lay down to be abused by him. Even with her diminished circumstances, Alicia stayed true to herself and was her own person. She won her hero fair and square.

Even though it's taken me years to finish this series, I felt like the ending was perfect.  This book is a great combination of light humor and wit, sexy and emotional romance, and a nice dose of suspense and intrigue.  It's an excellent conclusion to the Liar's Club series and its crossover The Royal Four.  I enjoyed catching up with the other characters from The Royal Four, and they made me nostalgic from my days of reading The Liar's Club.

This book is several years old, but I think it's worth tracking down.

Overall rating: 4.5/5.0 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments: