Sunday, September 14, 2014

Daredevil Visionaries, Volume 3 by Frank Miller, etc

Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, Vol. 3Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, Vol. 3 by Frank Miller

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This is my least favorite out of the Daredevil Visionaries volumes.  I think the storylines were less compelling and didn't make up for the dated nature of the artwork. Also, there wasn't nearly enough Elektra in it for me.  I don't like Heather Glenn as Matt's girlfriend.  I think that it's a misalliance. Plus, the villains were pretty campy in my opinion.  "Guts" was a lot of fun.  Foggy Nelson, Matt's law partner, goes off on his own adventure to investigate arms dealing for Heather, and gets a reputation as a formidable assassin.  Daredevil goes along as his invisible backup and does all the butt-kicking dirty work for him.  I was sad when it ended. I also liked Matt's what if Elektra hadn't died. The story about Matt as as SHIELD agent wasn't as successful. Oh, and I liked how the Punisher shows up.  They are good contrasting characters, and in some ways mirror each other, although make different choices for the 'good.' Although I find Matt a very likable, sympathetic lead, part of me really respects the Punisher's ethos.  I think when I'm upset with all the injustice and cruelty in the world, having a cypher like the Punisher is good catharsis for me.  In general, I think I am generally more aligned with Daredevil's ethos, but sometimes, The Punisher gets the thumbs up from me.

I did like that I was able to catch up on Daredevil's story.  Now I'm glad that I can read some newer comics about Daredevil and Elektra and get some more updated artwork and storylines.  I don't doubt the influence that Frank Miller and his coworkers have had on this character, and I am grateful for these older books in the series. I'm glad I was able to read these from the library.



View all my reviews

No comments: