Wednesday, October 06, 2010

The Darkest Whisper by Gena Showalter

The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld, #4)The Darkest Whisper by Gena Showalter

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Although The Darkest Whisper wasn't a perfect book, I loved it. This world of the Lords of the Underworld has really grabbed a hold on me.



I wasn't that keen on Sabin's character in the previous books, but I ended up adoring the guy. He's actually got some traits I like in a hero. I respect him for his incredible skill as a warrior and military tactician. I like that he's very focused and determined. He seems to have a sense of honor, for the most part. I turns out he's pretty sentimental about women, and truly loved Darla, his lost love. I liked the way he treated Gwen, like she was important to him, even though he tried to tell himself she was merely a means to an end. I liked that he loved all of her, harpy part included, and strived to see that she was a capable warrior. Sabin was also a good leader. I could see why his men were devoted to him. He made me feel all warm and fuzzy, and it was hard to stay mad at him when he did something I didn't agree with. Because he was so sorry about it, and he thought he was doing the right thing.



As for Gwen, she was a very interesting character. I loved the harpy storyline. I haven't read too many books that had harpies as main characters. I like what Ms. Showalter did with the harpy folklore, making it her own, and giving them particular traits. Gwen showed a lot of growth over the course of this book, finding her inner strength, and learning to be comfortable with who she is. She's still a work in progress, but I think she's a great character. I also liked her sisters, although sometimes they were a bit annoying. I'm glad that Gwen found the inner strength to step out of their shadow, and to be happy with herself; realizing she isn't less than they are.



I loved the romance between Gwen and Sabin. I felt their bond and their chemistry very deeply. I liked how Doubt was afraid of Gwen, and her presence kept him quiet, especially when she became at peace with her inner harpy. I liked that Ms. Showalter let their chemistry build nicely. By the time the love scenes came around, I was like, "Heck Yeah!" Gwen and Sabin turned out to be my second favorite couple after Anya and Lucien.



Being able to catch up with the Lords and Co. and their women since the last book was another part of this book I enjoyed. I like their tight relationship, and the way they joke around with each other, but always have each others' backs. I am very psyched to read the stories of the Lords who haven't had books yet. I think they will be very interesting books.



On the downside, I finished this book last night, and I was so tired, it was hard to keep up with the last part of it. There was so much going on, and it was a little confusing. Despite that fact, I liked the storyline with the kids. That was pretty interesting. Another negative for me is that I don't really find Galen and Stefano to be compelling villains, but I hope that will change with the forthcoming books, or there will be some better villains in the next books. They're mainly just annoying jerks to me. The Hunters get on my nerves, for the most part.



Even though the ending left me confused, and it seemed to go by too quickly, and there were some large loose ends, I can't give this book less than five stars. I just enjoyed too much. There is something very addictive about this series, even though I can see some things that I wish were different (namely the Hunter storyline). I think it's because Gena Showalter does such a great job with paranormal romance, in my opinion. She writes about people who take hold of my interest, she's very funny, the romance steams off the page, and I end up enjoying myself tremendously when I read her books. I love what she's done with the Greek myths. She's taking some familiar things, and adding some novel touches to make a delectable confection. And I'll keep coming back for more.



View all my reviews

No comments: