Monday, October 18, 2010

The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde

The Canterville GhostThe Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Now that was a good ghost story. It was refreshing. I loved the humor, but there was also pathos. I kind of liked the old crusty Canterville ghost, even though he was kind of evil. I loved how the Otis children turned the tables on him. And how Virginia felt sad for Sir Simon, and helped him to get closure.



This is the second story I've read by Oscar Wilde, and I must say, I am very impressed with his writing. His work has a depth, but an airy lightness to it, and a hard to define beauty to it. Honestly, I can't find the words to really explain how I feel about it. I think that he managed to put so much into this short story, and I was very pleased with the result. I can't believe I waited so long to read Oscar Wilde. Shame on me.



If you have not read The Canterville Ghost, I highly recommend doing so. It is free online through various sources.



View all my reviews

No comments: