Sunday, May 10, 2009

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Twilight (Twilight, Book 1)
This book touched me in profound ways. Twilight was a book that I got deeply involved with. It was not a casual read that was easy to put down and move onto everyday life. It was a book that I carried around with me and tried to read every chance I could.

The characters are moving and intense, their relationships with each other intimate and touching. I felt Edward's anguish that he can't let go of Bella, although he know he endangers her. I walked in Bella's shoes, feeling her fascination and intense love for Edward. Every touch, word, look between them was deep with emotion and that emotion went straight to my heart.

I can honestly say that this is one of the best romances I've ever read. Everything is there that a romance needs. The intensity, the emotion, the joy, the edge of despair of knowing that one is in too deep. And the fulfillment of knowing that your intense love is very much returned. It's what I read romance for. This book is proof that a romance doesn't have to have sex in it to be romantic and intense, or even erotic.

Romance aside, the other elements also make this book involving. I was fascinated with Bella and what made her tick. Her interactions with her parents and her friends. Her outlook on life. Her courage at facing a horrible situation out of love for another person. Even everyday things in her life were interesting to me. I would love to know why she's so clumsy. I identified with her in that sense, because I'm pretty clumsy myself. The Cullens are intriguing and I can't wait to learn more about them. I am also looking forward to learning more about their mortal (or should I say immortal enemies) the werewolves. Jacob was cute and sweet and I'd like to see more of him, although I am definitely on Team Edward.

Like Bella, I fell deeply in love with Edward. He is one of the most magnetic characters ever written, in my humble opinion. I know now that my reading life will consist of Before Edward Cullen and After Edward Cullen. Yes I am a grown woman obsessed with a young adult book, but I like it that way. Those people who despise Twilight because it's a sensation, I challenge you to read the book. If you truly don't like it, then to each their own. But you definitely should give this book a chance. It's worth the time and energy, and the tug on your emotions.

No comments: