Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Summer Campaign by Carla Kelly

Summer Campaign (Signet Regency Romance)Summer Campaign by Carla Kelly

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Carla Kelly writes gold. Out of three books I've read by her, I've loved all of them. Summer Campaign makes her three for three now. This was a great story, with a heartwarming, beautiful romance. The perfect mix of humor and angst, and two characters that I loved, both as people, and as a couple. Jack is fresh from Spain, tortured by what he did and saw as a soldier. His dream is to get home again. On the road home, he encountered a woman about to be raped by highwaymen. He saves her, but also gets shot, and its up to her to protect them both, which she does. Then this young woman has to nurse him back to health from his gunshot, pretending that they are man and wife. That's how Onyx and Jack meet, and a beautiful friendship develops. But also a bond that allows them to see each other through eyes of love.



I felt for Onyx, her having been rejected for something that wasn't her fault. Constantly berated by everyone, forced into marrying a man who is nowhere good enough for her. I was urging her to run off with Jack from the beginning of the book, and fearing how thing would unfold, knowing she was too honorable to seize her own happiness that way. I have to say I really like the way this story concluded. There was a purpose to the painful journeys that both Onyx and Jack take.



This is a sweet love story, yet you know that there is plenty of passion between Jack and Onyx, and they will have a very happy life together. Even though I was sad about some parts, I ended this book with a happy smile on my face.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

SweetIntent said...

I recently purchased two books from your amazing reviews... Thanks. So, do you purchase your books or do you borrow from the library?

Danielle said...

Thanks for checking out my review, Sweetintent. I mostly read books I own, but I have started checking out audiobooks from the library. I'm enjoying it. :)