Friday, May 15, 2015

X-Men: No More Humans by Mike Carey (writer), Salvador Larroca (illustrator)

X-Men: No More HumansX-Men: No More Humans by Mike Carey

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


This was almost four stars. I just felt that the storyline wasn't as clear as it could have been. I loved the artwork, and the story idea was interesting.  I think there's a part of me that gets skeptical when crucial technology isn't explained, and I felt the details about the device that was opening portals between our Earth and others, wasn't explained enough for me.  I was a bit lost with some of that aspect of the story.

One of the more interesting characters was Raze. I didn't know that Wolverine had a son with Mystique, but he's about what one would expect.  Lethal, cunning, sociopathic, more of Mystique's personality than Wolverine. Mostly, I'd say, "The Gang's all here." X-Men fans will like the variety of characters that show up, but I can think of few that I missed in this roundup.   The art and the colors were brilliant and beautiful. Salvador Larocca is one of the best comic book artists around.

I don't read as much X-Men. I guess I feel I'm a bit oversaturated with it due to sufficient coverage they get in the movies and tv. I've wanted to read more, but I'm just dipping my finger in right now. This was a nice choice, since the story isn't too locked into an arc. It looks like it might be a one shot.  If you ask me, I'll always choose X-Force over the X-Men.  Just a personal preference.

Based on what I've read of Carey with his Felix Castor The Devil You Know series and the The Unwritten The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity graphic novels, this doesn't feel distinctly like Carey's writing. It's good, but doesn't really stand out to me.

Overall rating: 3.5/5.0 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments: