Thursday, May 28, 2015

When Enemies Marry by Lindsay Armstrong

When Enemies MarryWhen Enemies Marry by Lindsay Armstrong

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


I wasn't sure I liked this book very much initially. It's a bit on the dry side.  Lucy comes off as very young, which isn't intrinsically bad, but it's harder to believe in the love story between her and Justin, who is 10 years older and seems like he's robbing the cradle.  It's like he can't decide whether to treat her like his teenaged ward or his adult wife. and Lucy seems to take her cues from him, not to mention feeling resentful for being trapped in a loveless marriage.

However, with time, my opinion did improve of this novel. I think it still feels a bit coming of age, and at the same time, it's about a marriage of convenience which slowly and convincingly becomes a love match.  I will say that the last ten-fifteen pages were the strongest part of the book.  I gained needed clarity on what Lucy's issues were and how Justin felt for her.  I don't mind how older Harlequin Presents don't show you what the hero is thinking. I think it's sort of like a love mystery, trying to guess the hero's feelings based on his behavior.  In this case, you don't really know where you stand with Justin. I did believe he had feelings for Lucy, but I didn't see much intensity from him.  And while I thought he was completely over his ex, apparently he hadn't moved on 100% emotionally until he realized what he felt for Lucy.

I like my Harlequin Presents emotionally intense and with plenty of drama and angst. This one didn't have quite enough of any of those for my tastes. However, the writing was good enough that I did feel that it deserves more than 3 stars. I'll settle for 3.25/5.0 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments: