Friday, April 17, 2015

The Punisher, Volume 1: Black and White by Nathan Edmondson (Text), Mitch Gerads (Illustrations)

The Punisher, Vol. 1: Black and WhiteThe Punisher, Vol. 1: Black and White by Nathan Edmondson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I was leery about this arc of The Punisher changing authors and storylines, but I feel that it was pretty successful in keeping the tone I liked with the Rucka run, without it being an exact copy.  I didn't veer into the realm of ultra-violence either (what I was really nervous about).  Edmondson continues to write Castle as a driven man who isn't afraid of using violence, but with his own rigid code of morality. I did miss Rachel Cole-Alves though.

Castle has set his operations up on the West Coast, and targeted a series of violent gangs who have declared a war against the city of Los Angeles.  Castle adopts a wounded coyote (which was a nice touch). He also has a set of allies who help him out (in the ways he needs it).  There are a few fun cameos I really appreciated. They don't step outside of the tone of the series, so that's good.

The artwork is well-done, different from the last run, but I still enjoyed it.  They capture the grim nature of Castle and convey his dead seriousness about his vocation.  I have to say I kind of have a soft spot for the Punisher that has been restored after the travesty of  the movie Punisher: War Zone.

I have to say that I am satisfied and will keep reading the new Punisher series. 



View all my reviews

No comments: