Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Fables, Volume 12: The Dark Ages by Bill Willingham (Goodreads Author), Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Peter Gross (Illustrator), Andrew Pepoy (Illustrator), Mike Allred (Illustrator), David Hahn (Illustrator)

Fables, Vol. 12: The Dark Ages (Fables, #12)Fables, Vol. 12: The Dark Ages by Bill Willingham

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I think that this volume more than others in the series conveys such a powerful sense of loss and risk. In fact, it feels very melancholy. No doubt that was Willingham's intention.  A character dies and it feels like an enormous hole is left in the Fable community.  This volume touches on how someone can be such a part of your life and you take them for granted, until they are gone. I don't know if I will get over the loss of this person, and in that I feel I identify with the characters.  The same has happened to me in my life outside of the pages of books.

Right now, theme of loss and death is hitting me hard, after having lost people and my beloved pets so recently.  I feel that this is probably therapeutic for me, but it hurts, much like when a doctor debrides an infected wound.

Along with the harbinger of loss, there is a harbinger of a cloud of doom over the heads of the Fables.  They have rejoiced in conquering the Adversary, but someone has awakened a sleeping giant who makes the Adversary look like a schoolyard bully. I really hope the Fables can band together and deal with this thread without losing more beloved members in the process.

I think this is another five star read.  I find myself scared to pick up the next volume, honestly!



View all my reviews

No comments: