Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Ultimate Iron Man, Volume 1 by Orson Scott Card

Ultimate Iron Man, Vol. 1Ultimate Iron Man, Vol. 1 by Orson Scott Card

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I think a caveat of enjoying this book is suspending what you know about Tony Stark, aka Iron Man. If a reader can't do that, then that's going to be an issue in reading this graphic novel.

Orson Scott Card takes a huge departure in some ways in the evolution of Tony Stark and his becoming Iron Man.  It was pretty weird and different from what I know, and I am admittedly mainly familiar with the character from movies and TV, and some research I've done into the character online.  I won't go into what was changed, because it's a major spoiler.  I think in some ways, it undermines the coolness of Stark as a normal man who becomes a superhero through his ingenuity and invention. That's probably my major issue with this story.

I'm not sure why they decided to take that direction with the story, but I think less experimentation with the central identity of the character would have been better.

I gave it 3 stars because it has good action, good artwork, and there were some interesting ideas, but subtracted two off because it took too many liberties with the storyline.



View all my reviews

No comments: