Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Irredeemable, Vol. 1Irredeemable, Vol. 1 by Mark Waid

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars


This book earns a "WOW" from me!

For readers who are hugely captivated by superheroes, this book will hit them where they live.  It's very ambitious and quite brave of Mark Waid to go there. To show a superhero go dark, and I mean, really, really dark.  I know that we've seen Superman get a little 'bad boy' when he gets poisoned by red kryptonite, but that is no where near what happens to Plutonium. 

Plutonium is evidence of a superhero who cracks under the pressure. He has been derided and criticized and blamed for what he has not done and not thanked enough for what he does.  He hears all the negative thoughts of people, and over time it erodes his optimism and belief in himself and humanity.  When betrayed by people who he trusted, he goes over the edge and becomes a genocidal killing machine with no sense of morality or ethics.  The worst part is he is nearly invincible and he is determined to kill all his former crimefighting partners.

This is a book I read with my mouth open, my eyes transfixed by the visceral, emotionally distressing story unfolding before me. It was like a runaway train that couldn't be stopped.  I can imagine the horror of Plutonium's former teammates and his past love interest.  Their increasing realization that nothing would be able to stop Plutonium before he had exhausted his rage and ceased his rampage of terror, if ever.

Part of me is afraid to keep reading this, but part of me is afraid not to read it. I have to know what happens next. If anything will bring Plutonium to his senses.  Where does this end?  My inquisitive brain is already pondering what happens next.

This is a powerful and fearless series.

4.5/5.0 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments: