Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sin Undone by Larissa Ione

Sin Undone (Demonica, #5)Sin Undone by Larissa Ione

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I am really sad to see this series concluding, although I am happy to see everyone get a satisfying ending. To be honest, I wasn’t that enamored with either Sin or Con when I met them in Ecstasy Unveiled. I didn’t like the closet hookup, and the uneventful sex; and I wasn’t sure I could buy them falling deeply in love in their book. But, I figured that Ms. Ione would have something up her sleeve to turn things around. And she really did.

Sin is a hard person, toughened and disappointed by life. I can totally understand why. It’s bad enough to be a man who is a slave to his desires, but for a woman, that’s probably even worse. Especially when you have inbred trust issues from having a mother who hated you and wanted you dead. Sex requires intimacy. Intimacy requires trust. Imagine having to have sex daily without being able to trust anyone? That’s Sin’s life. And you know how hypocritical men are about women who ‘sleep around’. It’s fine for a guy, but a woman who does it is a slut, and she doesn’t deserve their respect, and they show it, even though she chooses to share her body with them. I think that sucks. So, yeah, I get Sin’s issues. Surprisingly, I liked her early on in this book, and loved her by the end of the book.

As for Con, I really didn’t like him after the bet he made with Luc. Talking about callous. I think he did have some reason to be unwilling to get involved, but not as much as Sin. Even still, it was good to see him learn to love a woman more than he loved his freedom, or holding onto his belief that he could move on, and change out things in his life at will. Even though he was being Mr. Double Standard by pushing Sin to open up and allow her to feel, but not wanting to commit to anything out of a deep-seated fear of loss. But Con has to learn the hard way that you can’t close yourself off from people out of fear of loss.

I really like how Ms. Ione writes these books. They are highly sexual, but that’s just a layer of the story. Although she writes sex very well, she doesn't leave the romance behind to be forgotten; and there’s so much more going on and to be interested in. This series is about family, about realizing that one has a place in this world, connections. That what you thought about the world being black and white truly doesn’t represent the world very well. The world is so full of shades of gray, and even more, colors. It’s more about perspective than there being one answer, and one path. And love isn’t denied to anyone.

When I read the first book, Pleasure Unbound, I was pretty fascinated with this world of demons that Ms. Ione put on paper. After five books, I am still impressed. The world-building in this series is out of this world, and it only expanded with each book. That’s part of why I’m sad to see it ending, because I think there are a lot of stories to tell in this world. However, I am glad that she’s going to take things in a different direction in this same world with the Lords of Deliverance, and I am intrigued with how she introduced that series in this book. Sin Undone successfully fed my paranormal addiction and left me yearning for more. That’s five for five, Ms. Ione!




View all my reviews

No comments: