Monday, June 21, 2010

Veil of Midnight by Lara Adrian

Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #5) Veil of Midnight by Lara Adrian


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I really liked this storyline. Although Tegan is still my favorite Breed warrior, I liked Niko. Renata was a powerful, admirable heroine. I liked that that she was a true survivor. I thought it was awesome that she rescued Niko from the interment facility. Mira, the young girl with the power of showing people who look into her eyes the future, was an interesting story idea.

The Midnight Breed series is pretty dark and violent. The concept of the alien Otherworlders coming to earth a millenium ago, going on a rampage of bloodletting and killing, and raping and impregnating specific Earth women who are compatible with them, to form the breed--alien/human hybrids who live off of blood--is pretty sinister. Although generations of breeding have tamed most of the savage instincts of the original Otherworlders, there is still a dark, violent nature to the Breeds, more obvious in some than others. Although the body count can be somewhat high in these books, this concept has grown on me. I do think that Ms. Adrian has distinguished herself with the storyline of the Breed warriors amongst the vampire romance entries. I find that I am invested now, as I yearn to see what will happen as the new nemesis of the Order unleashes his army on the Breed and on humans, desiring to take over and bring things back to the way they were before, where the Breed ruled, and humans were merely their chattel and food source.

As this book ends, things have come to a very sad turn for the sophisticated Berlin Darkhaven leader, Andreas Richen. I expect that he will be very changed in the next book. I'm looking forward to reading his book, Ashes of Midnight. And I am dying to see more of Hunter, the Gen One warrior who turns out to be an unlikely ally to the Order. I hope he gets his own book. I quite liked him. I think this is one of my favorites in the series, so far.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: