Monday, May 17, 2010

On Thin Ice by Debra Lee Brown

On Thin Ice (Silhouette Intimate Moments No. 1188) (Silhouette Intimate Moments) On Thin Ice by Debra Lee Brown


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
On the heels of the last book I read, this one didn't quite measure up. Rather mean of me to say that. But, it's the truth. However, this was a decent read, and I enjoyed reading it. The best part of this book was the hero, Seth Adams. He was a dreamboat. A mix of strength and vulnerability. Half-native Inuit, he had an insecurity complex fueled by an Anglo father who never truly accepted his mixed son.

Seth is working undercover as a roughneck on the oil drilling site on a remote island in Alaska. In flies high-powered geologist, Lauren Fotheringay. Is she behind the corporate espionage he's there to investigate, or is she just stealing his heart? I wish I could steal this Alaska boy's heart. I'd never give it back. He was adorable.

Lauren, on the hand, annoyed me more than one time. She trusted her upper-crust moneyed fiance implicitly, although he was clearly too slick for comfort. She did everything she could to get herself killed more than once. Good thing that Seth was always there to protect her. I was about to write her off as a heroine, but she comes to her senses near the end of this book.

This actually was a pretty good book. The mystery was interesting. It has some good action and intrigue, and the Alaska setting was very appealing, if you like midnight-dark, bitterly cold, and nasty blizzards (which I do). I think I would have enjoyed it more if I could like Lauren more than I did. She wasn't the worst heroine ever, but she was pretty annoying, and unworthy of Seth, in my opinion.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, if you like yummy, half-Native American sexy cop heroes, and the winter/cold setting at its best, and you have a desire to spend a few hours reading a romance story set in Alaska. I wasn't going to keep this book initially, but Seth is too sweet to give away. :)

View all my reviews >>

No comments: