Friday, August 14, 2009

The Chosen Ones: Storm of Visions by Christina Dodd

Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, Book 1) Storm of Visions by Christina Dodd


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book has a really cool premise and takes things in a different direction from the other paranormal series right now. I really did like that about the book. However, I do feel the romance suffered because of the time that had to be spent on building the world and the lore for this new series. I really wish that Ms. Dodd had been able to preserve her excellent ability to write a great, sensual romance and still accomplish setting up this series. Normally her love scenes are fairly blistering. They were a little more on the tepid side. I felt as though I barely got access to the intense relationship between Jacqueline and Caleb. What I saw of it was so intriguing, yet I wanted more.

As for the action and suspense, that was excellent. Ms. Dodd introduced an interesting cast of characters that I'd like to see more of. She kept me guessing who the saboteur was until the very end, which can be difficult for an author to do. There were some thrilling moments that had me on the edge of my bed and the elliptical trainer (the predominant places where I read this book. Also while waiting for my clothes to dry in the laundry room). I liked the paranormal aspects, and as I said earlier in this review, they felt different and unique. There were times I didn't know what to think of this story and I was afraid for the first time I would dislike a Dodd book. She is one of my favorite authors, and rarely disappoints, so I was glad I didn't have to say that.

I like that she uses a more Judeo-Christian kind of lore in this book, fighting against the devil. I love most paranormal themes, but it's nice to see something in a paranormal romance that is relevant to my everyday existence as a Christian. Kudos to her for that.

Overall, I have to give this four stars because it was an enjoyable book that sucked me in. I took away a star because the romance seemed to be lacking somewhat in this story. I did feel like there was telling that Jacqueline and Caleb were deeply in love, instead of showing. Nevertheless, I look forward to reading the forthcoming books, and definitely will add this to my keeper shelf.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: