Saturday, June 20, 2015

Justice League of America: The Rise of Eclipso by James Robinson, Brett Booth

Justice League of America: The Rise of EclipsoJustice League of America: The Rise of Eclipso by James Robinson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This was a 'meh' read to me.  Eclipso is super-powered and super-evil, but he's also super-annoying.  I don't care much for posturing villains, and he's that in spades. when his origins are revealed, you are thinking 'what a whiny baby!' instead of being scared of him. That's not to say he doesn't wreak a lot of habit in this book. He really does.  I gave this three stars because the action is pretty epic, and there is no guarantee of a happy ending.  You pretty much think it's all over until the last few pages.  I've liked the first couple of JLA titles, but this one didn't do much for me.  I'm not very familiar with this team, and it was interesting getting to know them, such as I did.

I had trouble tracking the story between the graphics and the prose. One of my pet peeves with graphic novels. They can be done very well where this is not a problem, but it wasn't in this volume. It doesn't help that the cast of characters is so expansive.  Eclipso has the ability to take over and make people into his minions, and the confusing part for me is not knowing what the various characters are normally like, makes them as evil minions sort of meaningless.  Probably someone who has more background in the DC Universe than I do may feel different.  On the good side, the artwork is very good. I find Donna Troy's outfit mesmerizing, a jumpsuit with quasars and stars on it. It was almost hypnotic, quite honestly. Probably one of the aspects I liked most about this book.



My experience with the JL and JLA graphic novels I've read is hit and miss. This one was more of a miss for me.



View all my reviews

No comments: