Saturday, June 20, 2015

Fables, Volume 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham (Goodreads Author), Matthew Sturges (Goodreads Author), Russ Braun (Illustrator), José Marzán Jr. (Illustrator), Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Andrew Pepoy (Illustrator)

Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover (Fables, #13)Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is the first Fables volume I have given less than five stars in a while. I think it was because I just don't like Jack. He annoys the heck out of me.  Much of the dynamic I love about this series isn't there. While I have come to love the Fables even when Snow and Bigby aren't front and center, I just can't stand Jack.  I wonder if I am the only way who feels that way.  And many of the other characters I've come to know and love aren't in this volume enough for me.

I didn't feel as strong a connection to the Literals storyline. I'm guessing the Literals play a larger role in the Jack of Spades series, and hence the crossover here.  It's interesting from a literary perspective. I love exploring literary devices and archetypes, and it was pretty cool how all the genres show up in this story.  And the whole aspect of the Literal family plays around with metafiction and the power of the creative writing process.  I didn't quite get the motivation of the main 'villain.'  It didn't' seem like he had anything to gain from what he wanted to do.

I think the humor is a lot more sarcastic and incisive in this volume, but the storyline fits it.  There are parts that don't seem as cohesive, and I often wondered where the story was going here.  But even the less interesting Fables are still pretty good!  I think this is a low four star read for me.



View all my reviews

No comments: