Thursday, January 08, 2015

In a Glass Grimmly by Adam Gidwitz

In a Glass Grimmly (A Tale Dark & Grimm, #2)In a Glass Grimmly by Adam Gidwitz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Once again, Adam Gidwitz has knocked my socks off. I was skeptical to see what he could do with Jack and Jill, but he more than pleasantly surprised me. I will be very honest. There are a couple of parts of this book that are in no way kid friendly. I mean, I admit I probably read stuff like that when I was twelve, but I would caution a parent to be careful with this book. You might want to read it first and then let your child read it. Or read it together. I'd say that any reader under twelve should be under parental supervision, most definitely.

I loved the narration. I strongly recommend getting the audiobook narrated by Johnnie Heller. His narration is perfect and really adds to this book. I challenge you to read this without talking out loud or even shouting or moaning on some parts.

This kids wormed their way into my heart and I felt deeply for them. And also Frog, the Frog. My heart was broken for what happened to these three friends. I cheered for them when they accomplished incredible obstacles. I held my breath when they found themselves in some very tight and scary parts. And I was very happy when things worked out for a happy ending.

Gidwitz is a person who loves folklore and fairy tales, and it's more than evident. He also has a sometimes twisted, but always funny sense of humor. He seems to stay in touch with the child inside himself. And deep down, there is a very important lesson that spoke to me and no doubt will give young readers something to think about, something very prevalent in this day, with bullying at an all time high. That combination makes him an irresistible writer.

This book has just about everything, even a large, fire-breathing salamander named Eddie. If you are curious, you'll just have to read the book. That's no hardship, although I will warn you, don't start eating when you read the part where Jack and Jill enter the Giant's Cave. You will regret it!

A love letter to young and grown up fans of fairytales, "In a Glass Grimmly" is a worthy follow up to the fantastic book A Tale Dark & Grimm, and I danced a jig when I saw my library had finally gotten this audiobook. It was definitely worth waiting for.

View all my reviews

No comments: