Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Harley Quinn, Vol. 1: Hot in the City by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Chad Hardin, Stephane Roux, Alex Sinclair, Paul Mounts

Harley Quinn, Vol. 1: Hot in the CityHarley Quinn, Vol. 1: Hot in the City by Amanda Conner
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

It's no surprise this was far from sane or sedate. Harley Quinn can lay claim to neither. I really liked the artwork, the look of the character and the bright color throughout. Both were gorgeous. I really liked how they had every artist who ever drew Harley draw some panels near the beginning. I think the story stays true to Harley's antiheroic, if not villainous nature, without her coming out as overtly psychopathic. I freely admit I am squeamish about overtly psychopathic/sociopathic lead characters.

I'd have to give this 3.5/5.0 stars because there were some parts I didn't much care for, and some segments that were downright bizarre. This book is not for people who flinch at violence or have an issue with the liberal disposition of doggie doo (that part was gross). I think that Harley is humanized by her affection for animals and her tolerance/adoption of the misfits that rent the building she inherits. But readers who like women who are doing their thing and if you're curious about Harley Quinn as her own person outside of being Joker's main squeeze/acolyte (another thing I liked that the Joker was not around in this) might enjoy this.

Would I read the next volume? Sure, if my library gets it. I'd love to get my hand on some Gotham City Sirens.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

Cece said...

I really like that you have reviews of comics/graphic novels. It's something I recently got into myself, and I absolutely love them :)

Ps: I recently posted a discussion about graphic novels and goodreads and would love your input :)

My discussion

Danielle said...

Hi Cecile. Thanks for the invite to your discussion. Great idea! I love Graphic Novels. :)