Sunday, September 14, 2014

Swamp Thing, Volume 2: Family Tree by Scott Snyder, Yanick Paquette (Artist), Marco Rudy (Artist), Francesco Francavilla (Artist), Kano (Artist), Becky Cloonan (Artist)

Swamp Thing, Vol. 2: Family TreeSwamp Thing, Vol. 2: Family Tree by Scott Snyder
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I liked this one better than the first. I don't know if it's because it gives us some background on Alec and in particular how his fate became entangled with Abigail. The battle between the Green and the Rot feels epic. In this book, we see that the battle also involves the other vital force, the Red, which is the animal primal nature.

I really like the concept of plantlife being powerful and sentient. I think it's because I love plants and I am a keen gardener. I feel like that part of me that loves plants connects to Alec as a hero. And the part of me that is a healer instinctively rejects the Rot. I like that Abigail's fate isn't predetermined. That Alec fights for her and she fights against it herself. I feel that bad her brother had chosen the darker path.

This series is definitely more horror than anything else. Lots of disturbing imagery, but the artwork is in its own way very beautiful. I think this one has earned four stars from me. I will keep reading!

View all my reviews

No comments: