Saturday, January 26, 2013

To Love, Honor and Betray by Jennie Lucas

To Love, Honor and BetrayTo Love, Honor and Betray by Jennie Lucas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have this feeling that Jennie Lucas always has fun writing her books. They are so dramatic! She doesn't seem fearful about going for it with story ideas. This book has some very iconic imagery, such as Callie sitting on the steps of her old apartment, in a too-big wedding dress hiding her pregnant belly. Her hand full of wilting flowers for her bridal bouquet. And Eduardo shows up and demands the truth about her pregnancy. Drags her off to his car and away from her best friend, who is about to marry Callie. That was powerful. Other moments, like Callie going into labor and the Judge hurriedly marrying them. The characters are very intense, particularly Eduardo. He has such a little boy lost feel to him. Confused by his powerful feelings for Callie. His fear of losing her, but holding back because he thinks that love will make that loss even more inevitable. What he does, in desperation to keep her to himself, in their nuclear family with their baby, is pretty ruthless. I didn't know how I felt about that. I mean, it was very wrong, but I felt bad for this guy that he was so desperate to go to those extremes. I wasn't exactly sure about Brandon. Was he a little bit calculated when it came to Callie? Maybe obsessive? I wish this part had been more clear. As it was, it felt like a mix of Eduardo's paranoia and some intentional behavior on Brandon's part.

I sort of didn't like the way things went towards the end. I felt that both of them weren't truly fighting for what they wanted. Yeah, it was angsty, but a romance buzz-kill. One part gave me an icky feeling. Kind of hard to describe. I didn't find it that romantic, is the best way to put it.

To Love, Honor and Betray overall, was an enjoyable read. Definitely a bit over the top in some ways. The love scenes were very sensual and kinda spicy. If you like your Harlequin Presents with lotsa drama, this one will work for you. If you don't like that 'out there' kind of HP drama, pass this one by. I admit that the soapy drama-loving gal inside of me definitely does.

View all my reviews

No comments: