Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands by Bill Willingham

Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands (Fables, #6)Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands by Bill Willingham
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This collection of Fables stood out in that most of it takes place in the Fables homelands, other than the edition about Jack's adventures in Hollywood. I gave it five stars because the writing is excellent as always, and the story took my emotions all over the place.

Jack is not a favorite character of mine. He lacks most of what I love in a character. I love edgy heroes, but Jack is 99% rogue with maybe 1% decency in there somewhere. Everything he does is with a selfish motive, even if it ends up with good results for others. He's just a big fat jerk to me. An opportunist to the extreme. This story was still good, because of its jaundiced and truthful look at Hollywood. I love movies, have since I was a kid. I have mixed feelings about the film industry, however. There is a lot of falseness and meanness and lack of true integrity in the industry (of course there are always exceptions to the rule), and I don't mean in front of the camera. I mainly like the end product (and a part of me struggles with the sense of joy at watching a movie, knowing that some dirty dealing probably went on behind the scenes to make it). Jack fits right in with Hollywood, and his success is not a surprise. While this is Jack's story, it's tied in very well with the ongoing Fables story arc, and I liked how the tables were turned on Jack. However, he's the kind of guy who always lands on his feet. I'm sure Jack will be up to more mischief soon.

The bulk of this graphic novel is dedicated to Boy Blue's return to his homelands with the use of the magic cloak he stole from the Fabletown magical artifacts archive. He also took an enchanted sword which is absolutely lethal. His goal to kill the Adverary, save his father, Geppetto, and rescue his lost love, Little Red Ridinghood. His journeys through the homelands are fraught with danger, and he proves both his facility at taking care of himself, and his resourcefulness. I really enjoyed them. I was very troubled by the results of his arrival in the court of the Emperor (Adversary), with the loss of innocent life that results. I don't blame Boy Blue, but rather the evil whims of people who crave power and have no regard for human life. That is what I mean when I speak of these stories stirring my emotions. This graphic novel is not one that I am divorced from as I read.

I wasn't completely happy with some huge revelations that result in this book, but it's fitting for this series, and it portends some interesting future developments. Of course, I had to grab the next three in the series when I returned this to the library, although I have to work on some other books in the interim. I will happily pick them up when I get a chance (and try to write reviews right away next time).

I continue to love this series, and crave more. This was an excellent volume, so I have to give it five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments: