Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A Man to Marry by Carole Mortimer

A Man to MarryA Man to Marry by Carole Mortimer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Gee, this didn't really feel like a Carole Mortimer book.  I didn't feel a lot of chemistry between Cat and Caleb, and it wasn't very compelling.  Caleb doesn't have the appeal of Mortimer's typical heroes. He was cute and had an adorable scholarly vibe that I liked.  It was appealing that he wasn't taking no for an answer when Cat was not amenable to dating him. He was persistent and won her over.   

Overall this wasn't bad. I liked the small town vibe, and I am a sucker for a hero who is a good dad (especially a single parent father).  I liked that little Adam was actually in the book a fair amount.  He was a cute kid, so it was good to see him recovering from the angst of losing his mom.  Cat was a nice woman, but she didn't strike me as very memorable. I didn't care much for the big secret that Cat and her roomie Kate were keeping about Kate's grandmother. I didn't think it was that big a deal.  I mean, it was sad what happened to parties involved, but as far as tension, it didn't make for an exciting conflict in this book.

Overall, a decent book, but it lacks the zing and the intensity that I look for in Harlequin Presents books.  Small town charm and a slow-building romance is good, so I can't rate this lower than a three.  Just not enough here to appeal to me.  Definitely an average read.





View all my reviews

No comments: