Monday, August 15, 2016

Wait Until Dark (The Night Stalkers, #4)Wait Until Dark by M.L. Buchman
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

I was interested in reading Big John and Connie's story because they seemed intriguing from the later books in the series. I liked the idea of a heroine who is very shy and how that would play out in a romance. It was different from what I thought. I don't think that calling Connie shy is adequate. She not so much shy as socially awkward and withdrawn from others. Because of her father's death and their lifestyle, Connie has never connected with others very well. People get a mistaken impression of her and her withdrawn nature and her extreme brilliance puts people off. John at first, doesn't like Connie, but he's fascinated with her. The more time they spend together, working side by side as mechanics in the SOAR unit, the more they get to know each other, and a romantic relationship develops.

My problem was that Connie stays too remote in the book for me. I didn't feel connected to her, and so that made it hard for me to buy into the relationship on a deeper level.

The action was good, although most of it was later in the book. There are some very tense moments as the team has to deal with some nukes in the wrong hands. I liked how Connie stepped up to the plate and gained a big win for the team, and also it did help her to see that John was worth taking a risk on. People die, all the time, but withdrawing and refusing to feel doesn't necessarily protect you from loss. You just end up being alone.

Not my favorite in the series, but I liked it.

Overall rating: 3.5/5.0 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments: