Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Resenting the Hero by Moira J. Moore

Resenting the Hero (Hero, #1)Resenting the Hero by Moira J. Moore
My rating: 4.25 of 5 stars

This lovely book was on my to be read pile for a long time. I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. The idea is very unique and quite intriguing. However, it took me a little while to get into the book. Once I made it about forty pages in, I was settled into a groove and enjoying the ride.

Dunleavy is not happy about her bonded work partner. He's probably the second to last one she would have picked, and her last choice has a reputation for being a psychopath. Lord Shintaro Karish is just too showy and she wants a more low key partner. But the forces that bring a pair of partners together make the choice, not her. Although Dunleavy spends too much time trying to convince herself that she doesn't like Taro, the more time they spend together, the more she realizes that there is a good man beneath his facade.

The magic system, if you will, is pretty distinctive. I won't go into the backstory of why the Sources and Shields are able to work together to stop natural disasters, but it's different.

One thing that threw me was most of what they do is internal, so this isn't what I'd call an action-packed book. This would be a hard book to make a movie out of for that reason. The pace does pick up nicely as it goes along, and the climax is desirably dramatic.

"Resenting the Hero" is a good start to a series that I am quite sure I will enjoy reading. I did find Taro delicious, but I could see why Dunleavy was trying so hard to resist him even on a friendship level with him. Especially when everyone is in love with and admires Taro.

Dunleavy is the 1st person narrator, and she makes things feel very comfortable for the reader, even though at times, she is a bit of an unreliable narrator, because her vantage point isn't exactly clear on some things.

There's a clever little mystery in this book, with some nice red herrings. It's definitely a book worth checking out, so long as you don't mind it being a slow starter. That's why I took .75 points off.

Overall rating: 4.25/5.00 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments: