Thursday, November 06, 2014

Teen Titans, Vol. 3: Beast Boys and Girls by Geoff Johns, Ben Raab, Justiniano (Illustrator), Chris Ivy (Illustrator), Tom Grummett (Illustrator), Lary Stucker (Illustrator)

Teen Titans, Vol. 3: Beast Boys and Girls Teen Titans, Vol. 3: Beast Boys and Girls by Geoff Johns
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I will confess that I have gotten into watching Teen Titans Go! on Cartoon Network, and I really like the character of Beast Boy. I decided to give these graphic novels a spin and this is the first one I grabbed.

My Observations:

Beast Boy on the cartoon is a lot more wacky than in the book. He looks more childish as well and is of diminutive height. In the books, he's movie star handsome. While not tragic, you can see that he has suffered a lot. Part of Beast Boy's story is one of loss--his birth parents initially and later his adopted family, the Doom Patrol. Ultimately he triumphs over his circumstances and tragedy and manages to maintain sense of good humor and a joy of life. That's infectious.

I wasn't that drawn into the storyline, honestly. It was more mildly interesting than unputdownable. I enjoyed seeing the Teen Titans dynamic on paper, and there is a bit of a crossover with some of the characters of the Young Justice tv show. I've done some research into Teen Titans on the DC Wikia and apparently the teams did sort of blend together throughout the history of the groups. It made me want for the 2nd Season of Young Justice to make it to Netflix (hint, hint). Anyway, I went off on a tangent.

Overall, this is pretty good. More of a cool adjunct to my tv explorations of Teen Titans.

View all my reviews

No comments: