Thursday, November 20, 2014

Fables, Volume 11: War and Pieces by by Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Steve Leialoha (Illustrator), Niko Henrichon (Illustrator), Andrew Pepoy (Illustrator)

Fables, Vol. 11: War and Pieces (Fables, #11)Fables, Vol. 11: War and Pieces by Bill Willingham
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have mad love for this series. I tried to stay away, take a long break, but it pulled me back. I'm a fairy tale addict and Willingham gets fairy tales and how to take them and give them a modern update without destroying the essence of what makes fairy tales so appealing.

I like that while Bigby and Snow are much loved and favored characters in this series, they take a back seat and we see the heroism and the complexity of other Fables. I love how the backstories of the characters come into play through their actions in this book. It's a happy surprise to see which ones come to the forefront as heroes. Boy Blue is a standout character, and that's a very nice development in the story. Cinderella, though not even close to being my favorite fairy tale, is rocking the spy thing. I like it very much. Even Prince Charming shows that he does have some hero down deep.

Fundamentally, this book is about war and its cost. The author handles this subject with the integrity it deserves, and shows that fairy tales are fundamentally moral and allegorical tales that teach the reader something about humanity. So Fables as a series stays very true to the heart of fairy tales, and I love that about this series.

View all my reviews

No comments: