Saturday, January 04, 2014

Joined by Marriage by Carole Mortimer

Joined By MarriageJoined By Marriage by Carole Mortimer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This was an interesting little book. I think it was more of a family drama than a romance though.  I found the enormity of the family situation faced by Brianna and Nathan to overshadow their romance in many ways. At the same time, I was really drawn into that situation after the book got started.  I wonder what influenced Carole Mortimer when she wrote this book. It seems like it would make a good BBC drama, which isn't a bad thing.  Some aspects of this book were surprisingly dark and sad for a Harlequin Presents, especially the reveal about Brianna's mother.   It is a statement on how the sins of the prior generation can have a huge impact on the next ones, and that plays out in so many ways in this book. 

I want to rate this one in two different ways.  For a romance, I'd end up giving it three stars, because the romance is just not as well-developed, although there is certainly potential.  I liked Brianna and Nathan quite a bit and I wish they had more page space to shine outside of the tangled family dynamics.  As a serious drama story, I'd give it four stars.  So I think 3.5 stars is a more than fair rating.





View all my reviews

No comments: