Monday, July 08, 2013

The Warlord Wants Forever by Kresley Cole

The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #1)The Warlord Wants Forever by Kresley Cole

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Reread Completed for Immortals After Dark 2013 Group Reread (July 5-7, 2013)

This is the one that started it all. It's been great to go and revisit the first book of one of my favorite paranormal romance series (and book series) of all time.  Even after rereading again it so many years later, it still holds an enormous appeal. I just fell into this story head-first. I have to say that the world that Kresley Cole has built stands distinctive and very strongly in the genre.  This book reads more like fantasy with sex/romance than just paranormal romance (while there is nothing wrong with the later, a book that can carry itself in the fantasy world-building as strongly as the romance is even better).

I didn't forget how hot Cole writes love scenes. It's funny that although I don't consider myself a fan of erotica, I connect so strongly with her story in which the sex is frequent and blistering hot. Maybe it's because she writes it so well and there is so much else going on along with it. At any rate, this woman has you reaching for a cold drink indeed!

Nikolai Wroth:

Still fantastic.  Still delicious.  While I refuse to choose a favorite IAD hero, Nikolai does retain a soft spot in my heart.  He makes a non-vampire lover into a sign me up first convert. He's rough and unpolished, vengeful towards Myst. But his heart is so vulnerable, and he gives it on the platter very early on.  I can't resist a hard, tough hero with a soft heart.   A girl could not do much better to have Wroth as her devoted husband.  Even though he screws up very badly, oh boy does he make up for it!  Major sigh-worthy points!  Definitely on my hero to die for shelf for all times.

Myst:

Myst is a woman of delightful layers. She seems callous and cruel at first, but it doesn't take long to see what a big heart she has, her depths of devotion and caring.  Myth's love of Nikolai's warrior-status and hard-earned battle scars was a distinctive part of her personality. At first, I had a problem with how she used her sexuality against her enemies, because I am not big on that, but I can understand the psychology behind it.  What was used against her, she took for her own strength, and it was just one tool in her armament. I sympathized with her over her broken heart when she finds out what Nikolai was hiding from her.  I didn't like what she did to him initially and so I didn't think his reaction was that bad. I think she met him tit for tat and respected his manner of dealing with her, knowing that he was the man for her because of his strengths and how it felt to be in his embrace. 

As a couple, I loved their courtship, warts and all.  When they weren't fighting, there was a lot of tenderness between.  It wasn't just about sexual attraction. Even before sex was possible, I could see that bond forming between them. For a short read, Kresley Cole beautifully builds a powerful love story that is missing in nothing, although I'd be lying if I didn't admit I would have loved a full-length novel.

I can't say too many good things about this novella.  This is stellar reading for this reviewer. The mix of hot romance, oh-so tender love, laugh out loud humor, and familial and friendship bonds really works for me.  I can see how Cole got a series deal out of this story. This is one of those novels that has you coming back for more.

*Pauses to think about the hotness of Nikolai Wroth and fans herself*  Where was I?

My series reread with the Immortals After Dark group on Goodreads is off to a fantastic start!

Check out my Immortals After Dark Pinboard on Pinterest!



No comments: