Monday, July 22, 2013

Escape Me Never by Sara Craven

Escape Me Never (Harlequin Presents, #872)Escape Me Never by Sara Craven

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


I liked this book, but it didn't blow me away. While I appreciate Sara Craven's books, I'm not sure I was quite in the mood for it.  Her heroines are kind of fragile and emotionally needy, and I wasn't feeling that when I read this.  I think I wanted something with a little more pizzazz and chemistry between the characters, and some snappy dialogue, and that's not this book.  However, it's still a good love story. 

This book relies heavily on the misunderstandings between the main characters.   As with many of the older HPs, we don't get much POV, so we have to decide the hero's motives solely based on his actions along with the heroine.  Cass is the 'ideas girl' at an ad agency, and Rohan is the big client they are pitching to.  He immediately takes a liking to her, and she doesn't get why, and she doesn't want a man in her life. Period.  Been there, bought the t-shirt, and no more please. The hero Rohan wants something more, but Cass thinks he just wants sex.  She doesn't stop to think that this guy could have any woman he wants, and he certainly doesn't need put in the effort to go after her.  Especially when it's apparent how complicated her life is.  I really liked how Rohan was totally committed to making an effort to be with Cass, even when he found out how dire her marriage had been and how troubled Cass was as a result. I liked how fast he bonded to her daughter, and how he was at Cass's bedside when she was sick.  It was a loud sign that he was in this for real and for the duration.

I liked Rohan and I liked Cass, but I didn't love either of them. I felt like their bond could have been more intense. The emotions didn't jump off the page at me, which is what I love in a book.  Instead, this was just a pleasant read. 

One thing I didn't like was Rohan's solution to their problem as far as letting Cass's daughter know about their upcoming nuptials.  I'm just persnickety about such things.  Also, some readers might find Rohan a tad manipulative in his approach to winning over Cass.  It didn't bother me excessively.

End Verdict:  A good book by an author I really enjoy, but not a favorite and not a standout read.

Overall rating:  3.5/5.0 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments: